Public Art at Williams
John Rogers Clague (American, 1928-2004)
Bequest of Lawrence H. Bloedel, Class of 1923
Photo by Megan Cross
Located at the entrance to The Guest House at Field Farm, the former residence of Williams alumnus and benefactor Lawrence Bloedel, Wheel is a bronze sculpture by Cleveland, Ohio artist John Clague. John Clague graduated in 1956 from the Cleveland Institute of Art and subsequently traveled throughout Europe. He was both a practicing artist and a professor. He taught both at Oberlin College and at the Cleveland Institute of Art.
Clague is known for large-scale abstract sculptures in bronze, steel, and fiberglass.
Six of his sculptures reside in the permanent collection of the Cleveland Museum of Art and his work has been exhibited at the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Aldrich Museum of Contemporary Art, and the University of Massachusetts.
Currently located at Field Farm, Wheel was bequeathed to the college by prominent collector and alumnus Lawrence Bloedel.