Public Art at Williams
Reverse Curve, 1967-1968
Herbert Ferber (American, 1906-1991)
Gift of Edith Ferber
Photo by Megan Cross
Herbert Ferber was born in New York City in 1906. A first generation Abstract Expressionist sculptor and painter, Ferber was one a few American sculptors in the 1940s who challenged the concept that sculpture should consist of a pedestal-bound solid mass. In 1944, he began working in welded hollow metal forms reminiscent of animal bones, fossils, and plant life.
Ferber’s first museum major retrospective was presented at the Walker Art Center and his works are part of the permanent collections of the National Gallery of Art, the Dallas Museum of Art, and the Whitney Museum of Art.
Ferber was a longtime resident of Berkshire County and a good friend of Professor S. Lane Faison, Jr., who encouraged the artist to lend both Calligraph LC and Reverse Curve to the college. Ultimately, both pieces were donated to Williams by Edith Ferber, the artist’s wife.