Public Art at Williams
Mario Negri (Italian, 1916-1987)
Bequest of Lawrence H. Bloedel, Class of 1923
Photo by Megan Cross
Erma is a figural work by Italian sculptor Mario Negri. Negri was born in Tirano, Italy in 1916. He studied at the School of Architecture in Milan before serving in World War II. Following the war he took up sculpture. Negri’s first exhibition at the Milione Gallery in Milan was a critical success and garnered the sculptor invitations to participate in the Venice Biennale, the Rome Quadriennale and several exhibitions in Germany, England, Belgium, France and the United States. Negri primarily took human forms as the subject of his works.
According to author Robert Maillard, Negri “expresses the modern conception of the relations between man and his environment in precise, taut forms . . . .The clean contours of his figures and their up thrust into space harmonize the great artistic inheritance of the past with the drama of man’s condition in the present. The severe composition of surfaces and volumes is inherited from Cubism.
“Negri’s sculptures reside in public and private collections in the United States, Canada, Italy, and throughout Europe.
The sculpture was part of a large bequest of art from alumnus and prominent collector Lawrence Bloedel. Along with several other sculptural works from Bloedel’s collection, Erma is located outside of the main campus at Field Farm.