Prendergast
Prendergast Archive and Study Center

Prendergast Archive and Study Center

About the Study Center

Eugénie Prendergast (1894–1994), Charles’s widow, was an active guardian of the work and reputations of Maurice and Charles after Charles’s death in 1948. In 1983, she and the Prendergast Foundation formed an association with the Williams College Museum of Art to sponsor the Prendergast catalogue raisonné and related research projects, which continued as the Prendergast Archive and Study Center. Mrs. Prendergast also donated or bequeathed approximately 400 works by the Prendergast brothers and established funds for ongoing research, exhibitions, and publications on the Prendergasts and their artistic era, as well as operating support for the museum and its education and outreach programs. This largesse is supplemented by letters, documents, books, and other archival materials that support the original research. The museum’s Prendergast holdings and archives relating to the lives and careers of the brothers make the museum a center for scholarship on the Prendergasts and their contemporaries. The Williams College Museum of Art has presented exhibitions, published books, and organized symposia on the Prendergasts and their era, including, most recently, the landmark traveling exhibition and book, Prendergast in Italy.

The Prendergast Archive and Study Center does not appraise, evaluate or authenticate works of art. To find an appraiser in your area, please contact the following resources:
 
American Society of Appraisers
Appraisers Association of America
Art Dealers Assocation
International Society of Appraisers