Prendergast Archive and Study Center

Prendergast Archive and Study Center

Digitization Blog

The Williams College Museum of Art is home to the world’s largest repository of the work of the artist brothers Maurice Prendergast (1858–1924) and Charles Prendergast (1863–1948). Throughout these web pages, you can learn more about the collection itself and get a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the museum staff’s efforts to digitize the Prendergast collection for the purpose of increasing access to these resources. These collections, as well as their family archives, came to the museum during the years 1983 to 1995 for research and educational purposes.

Header image: watercolor, pencil and ink on paper by Maurice Brazil Prendergast; Fantasy. ca. 1912-1915 (83.20.2).

Prendergast Digitization Complete

Prendergast Image Collage

4862 high resolution digital files

2433 fine art and archival objects

330 scanned exhibition images

Three years

One grant

Read more

Thirty Years Ago at WCMA

Friends of Eugénie Prendergast at WCMA in front of "Promenade"

1984 was a pivotal year for both the development of the Prendergast fine art collection and the construction of the Prendergast wing of the museum. Prior to 1984, Williams College Museum of Art had only seven works by the Prendergast brothers in its collection, but in 1984 alone, Eugénie Prendergast (Charles’s widow) donated thirty works of fine art to the museum.

Read more

Prendergast Archive and Study Center Now On Pinterest!

The Prendergast Archive and Study Center’s Pinterest account features images of both fine art and archival materials that were digitized as part of the IMLS digitization grant.

Read more