Barbara Takenaga (American, b. 1949); Aquamarine, 2005; acrylic on canvas. Collection of Randy Allan Kahn. x1200
WCMA Blog

The History of Lawrence Hall

Ever wonder about the history and architecture of Lawrence Hall?

WCMA now has a Finding Aid for its collection of historical documents and images related to the architecture and construction of the buildings holding WCMA and the College’s Art Department.

1846_Building History_lawrence Hall

Octagon, 1846

 

The collection, which is currently housed in WCMA’s archives, spans from the 1840s all the way through the early 2000s and includes building plans, magazine articles, student essays, newspaper clippings, and over 1,000 photos and slides of Lawrence Hall in its various phases of development.

1895_Lawrence Hall_EL.81.3.84

South Elevation, 1895

1890s_WCMA Historical Library

Lawrence Hall Library, 1890s

All of the photos and slides have been scanned, and specific images are available by request. The articles in the collection contain detailed information on the architects who designed and constructed the buildings as well as information on donors who helped to fund WCMA’s construction and expansion.

1931_Henry Seaver_Lawrence Hall

Architect Henry Seaver, 1931

In addition to historic building images, the collection also includes photos of past exhibitions and events.

1975_Lawrence Hall

Art Class with Lane Faison (on left), 1975

The bulk of the images are from WCMA’s most recent and significant renovation, designed by architect Charles Moore and carried out from 1981 through 1986. If you wish to see the Lawrence Hall Architecture and Building History collection, please contact the Registrar’s office at WCMA by sending an email to Rachel Tassone (rtassone@williams.edu) or Diane Hart (dhart@williams.edu).

1981-1983 Tom Krens and Charles Moore

Tom Krens and Charles Moore, c. 1982

Comments are closed.